Where to Start in Content Marketing
How often have you heard the phrase “content is king”? Mostly used in marketing, this phrase portrays the importance of content in today’s world and, in this case, the digital world. “Content marketing” is a method of communicating content that is valuable for your target audience and ultimately turning this audience into buyers, and ultimately, into returning buyers. A research conducted by HiveFire stated that 82% of marketers use content marketing in their marketing strategy.
Content should be valuable. But what is considered valuable? In order to answer this question, you need to define your target audience. Depending on your target audience’s needs, wishes, interests and behavior, you can determine what kind of information could be useful to them. For example, you can publish content about the next important baseball game on a website that targets baseball fanatics. In this case, content could consist of a blog post written by a baseball guru who’s sharing his thoughts on the strategies that baseball teams might use for this specific game. Fanatics will respond to this blog post, sharing their own opinions and predictions. The blog writer interacts with the audience and adds value to their passion. After engaging with fans, he can build lasting relationships and mention baseball-related products or events to them. Because your content is interest-based, you can connect with your audience on an emotional level and decrease the chance that they will choosing a competitor’s product or service.
There are several options for communicating content to your audience: blog posts, white papers, webinars, newsletters, videos, forums, images, and articles. Each of these options requires consistency and attentiveness. Choosing which options to use depends on your target audience and what appeals to them the most. That’s why it’s important to understand the people you’re targeting. Social media can enhance content marketing as well by offering a platform for building community around your brand. If people appreciate your content, they are very likely to share it on their social networks, which will lead to more web traffic and brand awareness.
There are more factors that influence the effectiveness of your content marketing strategy.
Some requirements of delivering valuable content are:
– High-quality writing: this is very important, because writers that don’t understand the importance of great content probably don’t know how to deliver it. This could affect the credibility of your brand.
– Appealing design: having an appealing visual design obviously attracts more people. Don’t go wild (unless the topic requires so). Your design should have some sort of structure, so your content is easy to comprehend.
– Creating a schedule: when using multiple channels, make sure you plan your activities in advance to maintain consistency and an organized image.
– Commitment: it’s important to stay committed to creating great content, because your audience continuously needs fresh material to stay engaged. This means you have to stay motivated in order to create new and original content.
– Measurement: you need to measure results to find out if there is any progress (for example, if your website is getting more original views). There are plenty of monitoring tools that can help you, such as Google Analytics.
As you can tell, creating engaging content has many benefits. Ask yourself:
– What kinds of people make up my target audience?
– What content would be valuable to them?
– What are the best media channels to reach them? What appeals to them?
– What is/are my goal(s)?
Once you have specified your target audience and developed a well-structured plan, you can start the process of publishing valuable content.
I hope these tips were useful. If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to leave a message.
|No comments||This entry was posted by EIC Social Media Team on November 30, 2011 at 8:38 pm, and is filed under Content. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|